Dining chair fabrics are the expression of your aesthetic taste and comfort. But cleaning chair fabrics after a long gap is a difficult task, right? Well, it is. Fabrics have different varieties and cleaning processes. So, how do you clean the fabric dining chairs? Well here is the kicker for you.
I have been setting up fabrics over chairs for many years. So from my experience, I will share with you some useful tips to clean dining fabrics. Here are 5 easy steps that you can follow to clean dining fabrics like a pro.
Fabric dining chairs can be cleaned with many home ingredients. Such as baking soda, vinegar, dish soap, alcohol, cleaning agent, etc. Items are sprayed over the stains or being wiped with a damp cloth. For odors, baking soda is sprinkled and vacuumed. Tough stains from fiber are removed with steam cleaning.
5 Effective Ways to Clean Dining Chair Fabrics :
Before you begin the cleaning procedure, let’s talk about different upholsterer’s fabrics.
The most used fabrics are:
Because they come from different materials, the cleaning process may vary a little bit. For example, cotton fabrics tend to shrink in hot water, so warm or cold water is a good choice to clean it. Now we get back to the cleaning work.
I will divide the cleaning process into two specific parts. First, how to remove different types of stains, then how to get rid of bad odors from dining chairs. Always check the tag of your fabric which comes with W , S or X signs. With ‘W’ you can clean it with water based soaps. “S’ means you can use dry cleaning solutions. And ‘X’ means you need expert help to clean the dining fabrics.
Vacuum Dining Chairs Before Cleaning :
The author of https://mykitchenadvice.com says, “You must suck out all the dust and dirt away from each corner of the dining chair.” The spaces of fabrics catch dust over time resulting in an unclean sitting chair. Follow these things while you vacuum :
- Keep your vacuum in low power for specific kinds of fabrics such as silk. Move the vacuum in up and down motion. And continue the process from right to left.
- If your vacuum is unable to reach certain parts of the chair, use a hand brush to clean out dirt.
Use Baking Soda for Oily Dining Chairs :
Oils or grease stains tend to be stuck with fibers. One of the easy home remedies to clean these types of grime is baking soda. Let’s see how to remove stains with baking soda :
- First, sprinkle a good amount of baking soda over the fabric. Bicarbonates have the property of making grease and oils dissolve in water. So leave sprinkled baking soda over your chair for 1 hour.
- After one hour vacuum out all the dry baking soda from the fabric. Now use dry agents or water to clean fabric. Damp a cloth piece in water and blot over the stains. Never rub fibers as the stains will spread even more.
Dishwasher for Beverage and Food Stains :
Fabric stains come from daily ingredients like food, beverage etc . These are cleanable with dish soaps. Grab a small pot and fill it with washing liquid. Now follow these steps :
- Plunge a small cloth in washing liquid and make it damp. With your hand keep blotting the cloth over the stained area.
- Continue the process till stains become lighter. Then use a wet/damp cloth to blot over the stains again. The water will wash away the stains . Let it dry completely.
Use Vinegar And Alcohol for Tough Fabric Grimes :
When the stains are set for too long, It becomes dry and hard to clean with water and soaps. In that case, an acidic solution like vinegar can work better if mixed with rubbing alcohol. Here is how you do it.
- Pour 2 tbsp of white vinegar and 1 tbsp of isopropyl or rubbing alcohol in a pot filled with water.
- Dump a clean cloth in the solution and squeeze out excess liquid. Gently blot the cloth over stains for several minutes. Alcohol lightens up old stains and vinegar cuts through the dirt. Remove the dirt with a wet towel later by gentle wipe.
- Steam Clean Inner Residues of Chair Fabric :
When your cleaners can’t reach the inner part of the dining chair’s fabrics, it is high time to steam the whole upholstery /dining room chair. A steam cleaning will provide not only deep cleaning but odorless dining chairs too. Here is how you steam clean the dining chair :
- First choose the appropriate steam cleaner, it’s the most important thing. If you are cleaning a chair, use a fabric steam cleaner. If you are using upholstery, take upholstery cleaner.
- Try some premeditated works before steaming: vacuuming, blotting stains with warm waters, etc.
- Steam clean every corner of the dining chair but be gentle with the power. Some fibers tend to shrink in hot conditions.
That was all about cleaning the stains and grimes over the fabrics of the dining chair.
Now let’s talk about another cleaning issue that is bad odor. Fibers absorb moisturizers, sweat, human and animal scents resulting in unpleasant bad smells. So how to get rid of it instead of spraying tons of air freshener every time? Here are some homemade treatments to remove odor :
- Baking soda is a natural odor remover. Sprinkle baking sodas all over your dining chair and let it sit for a while. Vacuum the chair or clean dry sodas with a brush.
- Use lemon juice or vinegar as a primary cleaner. The citrus smell will cut down bad odors. Squeeze lemon juice or take 1 tbsp of vinegar in clean water. Blot the solution over and under the chair with a clean towel and let dry. Then clean with a damp towel.
Related Questions :
How Does Vinegar And Baking Soda Clean the Dining Chair Fabric?
The whole cleaning process is simple chemistry of acid and base. Vinegar and baking soda create foam or froth when mixed. Thus lifts the stains upward when applied to the fabric. When both neutralize each other, you can use a dry cleaner to wipe out stains from the dining chair.
Which Vinegar Should I Use to Clean The Dining Chair Fabric?
There are two types of vinegar. One which we have in our house, another is cleaning vinegar. If you have light stains in the dining chair, the mild vinegar of your home is enough. If the stains are tough to handle, use cleaning vinegar. It possesses more acidity than the regular ones.
How Do I Keep My Dining Chair Like New?
For shining, use rubbing alcohol over the dining chair, vacuum timely, and use baking soda. Trim out pet hairs from the chair, use essential oils for fragrance, clean sides, pairs, frames.
Final Words :
Dining chairs are a medium of comfort for your daily life. But , with time, chair fibers get dirty, smudgy, and stain full. Using some home ingredients such as baking soda, vinegar, dish soap, and rubbing alcohol can solve your problems. And help you to get rid of bad odors coming from your dining chair.