This is a true story that goes back several decades.
There was a time when off-roading was considered seriously by only a handful of people, mostly adrenaline junkies who lived to drive and not the other way around!
Cut to the present. The demand for high-end Fuel Wheels off-road rims is higher than ever before. There are several major brands that specialize exclusively in the manufacture of wheels ideal for off-roading.
One of them is Fuel Wheels, a household name which was established as a separate entity in 2008 by its parent company, MHT Alloys. The reason?
To fulfil the growing demand for quality off-road wheels!
This is only a single example. There are several others.
A guide to off-road tires
Take it from the experts: when you are planning to take your new SUV for a spin on the dirt tracks, you’ll require extremely capable tires.
It would not be an overstatement if you were told that proper tires matter more than your favorite aftermarket off-road rims.
While most rims deliver very similar performances, it is the quality and the build of the tires which can make or break your off-roading experience.
How are off-road tires different? What are some expert tips?
Read on for more insights.
When you purchase a set of brand-new off-road rims and tires, you will probably notice some cosmetic differences at a glance.
These tires are a lot chunkier and more muscular than the average models you see on passenger cars. The width of the rubber is a lot more impressive. The tread blocks and the gaps between two consecutive blocks are bigger than almost every other tire that you see in the showroom.
While it is not discernible, some of the best tires for off-roading also have puncture-resistant sidewalls. They are rather similar to run-flat tires in this aspect.
The closest siblings of branded off-road rims and tires are all-season models. However, all-season (sometimes also called all-weather) tires last longer than off-roading variants simply because the tread patterns are markedly different and the latter are much heavier.
In return, you get stunning performances on the worst surfaces and will be able to conquer almost any surface.
Advantages of off-roading tires
There are several evident pros which is why off-roading enthusiasts purchase them in the first place!
At some of the finest retailing outlets of the country like AudioCity USA, people usually pick up a set of off-road tires when they purchase off-road rims.
We are considering this specific outlet primarily because it is one of the oldest sellers of aftermarket wheels for passenger and commercial vehicles, and is more than 33 years old.
So, what are some of the superior features of these tires?
- A much superior grip of the surface. This assumes even greater importance when you are forced to drive through snowed-out unpaved surfaces where the threat of mud and slush lingers.
- Larger tread blocks do not pick up debris easily, thereby ensuring better navigability on sandy surfaces with loose sediment.
- Off-road tires are almost always designed for 4-WD vehicles. They can harness the power of the engine a lot better and transmit it to the surface where the rubber touches the road. The result is a much better off-roading experience with almost no fear of losing control.
- A significant number of off-road tire models from various different brands have side grooves which are often tiered for extra advantage when handling hairpin cornering.
- The vast majority of off-road rims and tires have load ratings and speed ratings that far exceed winter and all-season models. This is a boon for powerful SUVs and even some of the latest hatchbacks which are designed to overcome tricky and unpaved surfaces with relative ease.
Have you noticed an alphanumeric code emblazoned on the surface of every tire? This code contains everything you ought to know about the model you are purchasing.
If you are unsure about whether your factory-fresh set of off-road tires will be suitable for the fancy off-road wheels you have just purchased, you will require expert advice!
Maybe the professionals at AudioCity USA can help you. Else, get in touch with the service station closest to you and which you trust implicitly.
Disadvantages of these tires
The disadvantages are certainly something you should look into. The most commonly mentioned ones are:
- With off-road tires, you are effectively saying goodbye to fuel efficiency. Thanks to their massive size and weight, the gross weight of the vehicle also increases significantly. The result is a vastly increased fuel bill.
But this is one aspect which every dedicated off-roader must understand. Without these tires, off-roading becomes tedious and difficult. And since you won’t be on those terrible roads too often, you can manage the inflated fuel bill every once in a while!
- These tires wear out a lot faster. The next time you are at a retailers’ looking for the latest off-road rims, try to gather information on new tires too. The manufacturers are always improving the technological aspects!
- Greater running noise can be a nuisance.
The benefits of these tires are certainly more than their drawbacks. Assuming that you are a new fan of off-roading, always purchase branded off-road rims and tires from established retailers for attractive discounts and all the bells and whistles!